Monitoring of human rights violations for 14 September 2020:
⚡️#Yeskhozhin Yerbol – 14 September 2020 – The court imposed a fine of 80 MCI (212,080 tenge or ~$500) and an obligatory contribution of 5 MCI (~$32) to the compensation fund under Article 378 Part 2 of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan (“insulting a representative of the authorities”).
– Yerbol Yeskhozhin was arbitrarily accused for saying the words “Nazarbayev’s puppies”, which he said on 2 February 2020 during a rally outside the U.S. Embassy in support of political prisoners on the visit of the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Kazakhstan.
– Yerbol himself explained that the words were said among his friends and were not directed at specific employees who were at a distance.
– The political persecution of Yerbol is connected with his civil activity (participation in peaceful actions, criticism of the authorities), and the criminal case allegedly opened 7 months ago, was passed to the court due to the fact that he is one of the organizers of Asar (building of a house together for the family of the killed Dulat Agadil) and As (memorial ceremony) in memory of the killed civil activist Dulat Agadil.
– For allegedly calling a rally on 6 June he was imposed additional 15 days of administrative arrest on 30 July.
⚡️#Sabitov Aibek – 14 September 2020 – The court illegally imposed a fine of 80 MCI (212,080 tenge or ~$500) and an obligatory contribution of 5 MCI (~$32) to the compensation fund under Article 378 Part 2 of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan (“insulting a representative of the authorities”).
– Sabitov Aibek was arbitrarily brought to criminal responsibility for the event that took place on 25 January 2020 in the building of the Astana City Police Department, where he allegedly used foul language towards police officers.
– During the court hearing of the case, the conclusion of an independent expert who examined Aibek’s words, specifically, the words “cops are running away”, recorded on video by the criminal investigator, was not used as a basis. It happened due to the fact that the specialist was not warned of criminal liability when conducting the survey, but was only aware of criminal liability for knowingly giving a false expert opinion.
– The expert, who was involved by the state, claims that Sabitov insulted police officers.
– The police themselves claimed that Aibek used foul language, although the video clearly contains the word “shchimanushki”, which means “head somewhere\ run away”.
– Also, the testimonies of 6 civil activists were not taken into account, and the court considered their testimonies critical and referred the witnesses to those concerned.
– Sabitov Aibek is a civil activist, who participates in peaceful protests, rallies, challenges, openly criticizes the authorities in connection with which he is regularly persecuted for political reasons by the authorities of Kazakhstan.
✔️ #Birlik, North-Kazakhstan region
#Onerkhan Nurbol – On 14 September 2020, a police officer came to the house of a civil activist, who is under house arrest (2 months) for the duration of the investigation carried out against Nurbol under Article 405 Part 2 of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
-The policeman, without providing his ID and a summons, said that tomorrow, 15 September 2020, Nurbol should come to the police station in Petropavlovsk.
– Nurbol fears that he may be pressured, asked to record a video refutation or even abducted, which has happened more than once when Nurbol was forcibly taken into the army despite his serious heart disease.
#Garifulla Embergenov (severely disabled) – On 12 September 2020, a call was received from an unknown “Yerlan”, who threatened the activist with physical violence, allegedly for his criticism of the authorities in social networks.
– The anonymous person threatened to publish on the Internet an intimate video with Garifulla.
– Garifulla doubts the existence of such a video and believes that even if such a video appears on the internet, it will be fabricated.
– The activist himself believes that these threats are coming to him in connection with the post he published on his Facebook page on 5 September 2020 about the delay of asphalt paving work in the centre of Khromtau, Aktobe region.
– The number of the person who threatened: + 7 776 208 02 65.
– Garifulla is a civil activist, a participant of peaceful actions, challenges in support of politically persecuted citizens. Repeatedly detained during peaceful rallies.